Fury of the Ancients
“Fury of the Ancients” was the final Team Project that I worked on. It is an action RPG in the same vein as Diablo and Torchlight. Although the game is running on the PC we were required to use only the XBox 360 controller so I had to design the menus with this in consideration. The team consisted of about 15 people and had a production time of four months. The game came out looking great and I am happy about how the menus and user interface turned out. I developed and designed the functionality for the main HUD, skill tree menu, weapon upgrade screen and main menu screen that you see in the game.
Below is the main menu that I worked on for “Fury of the Ancients”. I worked with the level designers to create the kismet nodes to perform the camera transitions between screens.
- Camera transitions between screens.
- A weapon selection menu which highlights both the HUD items and the in-game menu items.
- Ability for the player to select weapons prior to the start of the game, the player is only allowed one heavy weapon and one fast weapon.
Below is the skill tree for “Fury of the Ancients”. I used scaleform to create a dynamic skill tree which allows users to see which skills they currently have and which skills are available for purchase.
- Greys out skills which are not available.
- Shows skill level, pre-requisites and description.
I was the software lead for Fathom and implemented many of the game play elements in the game. Fathom was a game about a undersea mech that would fight large and dangerous sea creatures. It was my first foray into the Unreal Development Kit and I worked on it with a team of about six people. I worked on the following portions of the game:
- Implemented a target seeking missile launcher where the player could select multiple targets and missiles would be fired at all targets.
- reated the boost mechanic and the associated bubble particle effects.
- Developed the Scaleform HUD for the game.
- Programmed the player controls and worked with level designers to tune it to create the best user experience.
- Designed and was responsible for overseeing the implementation of the overall architecture for the game.